Father’s Day 2018

June 17, 2018 8 Comments

Happy Father’s Day.

IMG_0528

Here I am on my first Father’s Day without my dad feeling sad, but also feeling so grateful. I was blessed for 53 years with a dad who loved my mom, my brother, my children, and me unconditionally and limitlessly. I realize that many people never have that. My dad was good man with integrity, loyalty, and humor. He was also brilliant. I always believed that my dad knew the answer to everything! I miss his insightfulness and wisdom. I miss his thoughtful sage advice.

This has been a day of reflection for me. I know that there are so many people out there whose fathers are uninvolved, uncaring, unkind, or even abusive. My dad was not perfect, but he was always there when I needed him and I learned to be accepting and open-minded from him.

IMG_0529

I miss you, dad. I think about you every day and still cry every time a Beatles song comes on the radio. Rest in Peace.

IMG_0532

amazingmaterials4you

Currently, I teach fifth grade and have taught fifth grade since 2011. Before teaching fifth grade, I taught third grade, first grade, kindergarten, preschool, baby and toddler music, college, and graduate school. I am a mom of two daughters, a Maltese dog, and a tuxedo cat.

All posts

8 Comments

• Lcie June 18, 2018 at 11:02 am

Amy, I love this post about your father. The pictures are amazing and bring back so many memories of my father! We were blessed to have had wonderful Dads in our lives! Thank you!

• amazingmaterials4you June 21, 2018 at 8:53 pm

Thank you so much! I totally agree. It breaks my heart when I hear sad stories about dads.

• Tracy June 18, 2018 at 6:54 pm

I so empathize with you… I lost my mom in 2016. Hugs to you. I know it isn’t easy. ❤️

• amazingmaterials4you June 21, 2018 at 8:50 pm

Oh, I’m so sorry. That is so hard.

• Brooklyn June 18, 2018 at 7:45 pm

Great tribute to your dad! The Beatles songs are his way of letting you know he’s still with you 🙂

• amazingmaterials4you June 27, 2018 at 7:54 am

What a lovely thought! I just watched Carpool Karaoke with Paul McCartney and cried like a baby!

• thewordyowl June 26, 2018 at 10:15 pm

This is such a great post and reminds me of the many wonderful childhood things I did with my dad. What a nice way to honor him.

• amazingmaterials4you June 26, 2018 at 10:20 pm

Thank you. He was one of the good ones, for sure.

The letters of my first name inspired the name of this blog and the names of my other business ventures, so when you think of me, just remember AM4Y. I started my teaching journey in 1987 and have taught every age from babies to fifth grade as well as college and graduate school in Tennessee, Florida, Maryland, Washington, D.C., Colorado, and Virginia. I have a B.A. in English and Psychology from The University of Tennessee, Knoxville and an M.A.T. in curriculum and instruction from The University of Memphis. In addition, I have completed more graduate work at The University of Maryland and The University of Colorado, Denver. I am a mom of two young adult daughters and a cute Maltese dog. When I am not teaching, you can find me traveling, reading, hiking, or cooking. Read More

Affiliate Link